Syrian Ceasefire Collapses After Assad Slams "Naked American Aggression"
* * *
Barely a week into the latest "hard fought" Syrian ceasefire brokered by the United States and Russia last weekend, the deal seemed on the verge of collapse on Monday as a rebel official said it had practically failed and signaled insurgents were preparing for a full resumption of fighting. Already widely violated since it took effect a week ago, the ceasefire came under added strain at the weekend when Russia said jets from the U.S.-led coalition against Islamic State killed at least 62 Syrian soldiers in eastern Syria.
Then, adding fuel to the fire, moments ago, the Assad administration again lashed out at the US-coalition when Assad said the "confused" American attack on Syrian soldiers which killed 62 as previously reported, was a "naked American aggression."
"Increased state support for terrorists hostile to Syria has recently presented itself in the form of naked American aggression against one of the Syrian army positions in Deir ez-Zor in favor of the interests of the [Daesh jihadist group]," Assad said, as quoted by the Syrian presidency’s Twitter account, hosting a senior Iranian diplomat. He added that "countries hostile to Syria increase their support for terrorism as Syria succeeds in liberating territories and signing ceasefire agreements."
As previously reported on Saturday, the US Central Command said that the Syrian forces were mistaken for Daesh terrorists, in response to which Russia accused the US of "defending ISIS." Australia, Denmark and the United Kingdom have confirmed their participation in the airstrikes in Deir ez-Zor. Assad emphasized the importance of support provided by Russia and Iran during Syria's war against terrorism.